Thursday, September 08, 2011

Sleep is a Drug

And it's really, really addictive.

I'm so pissed at myself.  It is almost 1:30 and I have wasted most of this day yet again.

I thought that as soon as the kids went back to school I would be able to get so much accomplished around here.  I have to complete twenty thousand continuing education hours (give or take) in order to reactivate my teaching certification.  I figured it wouldn't be easy, but there are a number of different on-line, self-paced cources I could push through, and I gave myself the goal of completing it all this month so I could begin subbing come October.  It might not be realistic, but I figured hey, the kids leave the house at 8:30 and don't come back until 3:30.  That gives me seven hours to work each day.  Even if I took a few breaks, did some stuff around the house, whatever, I would still have a good chunk of time to focus on the course work.

Not an actual picture of me sleeping
because really, how would I do that?!!

NOT IF I SLEEP UNTIL ONE O'CLOCK!!!!!

Yeah, I got up at 6:30.  I took a shower, got dressed, even made my bed.  I went downstairs and helped the kids complete all their morning routine while I also ate breakfast.  I even walked them to the bus stop and was all social with the other moms.  But as soon as I started walking back home, all I could think about was taking a little nap.  I tried fighting it.  I took my Narcolepsy medication (which, while not a stimulant, works to keep me in the awake/alert stage so I don't feel tired all the time), tried reading a book, but the siren call of my pillow became too much. 

My annoyingly loud alarm clock
I told myself the first lie:  I'll set my alarm and get up at 9:00.  A lot of people start their work day at 9.  And my annoyingly loud alarm clock start beeping and booping and whatever else it does from midway down the stairs, where I had thrown it to force myself to start walking downstairs to get it.  And then I told myself my second lie: It felt like I only just fell asleep.  I wouldn't be such a big deal if I set it for 9:30 and slept a little more.  And on, and on, and on, until now it is 1:30, I have TWO hours left, and I'm so mad at myself I could spit.  [Though I never really got that expression - why would I spit just because I'm mad?  And since I'm mad at myself, would I try spitting AT myself?  Hmmm.....]

The fifteen minutes I allotted myself are almost up, so I'll have to think about my plan for tomorrow and the rest of this month/year/whatever later.  I better come up with a good plan because while sleeping all day is great (and I could go back to sleep right now if I allowed myself to) I'm falling behind in everything I was hoping to accomplish!

And this is only my third day on my own! 
Pin It!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! What do you want to tell me?